In 1936 the meeting room was refurbished. This room was part of the old building and was sorely in need of an overhaul.
There was a difference of opinion between Company #1 and Company #2 regarding the previously agreed boundary of Jackson Ave. for the collection of funds. #2 felt that the boundary should be moved for a more equitable distribution of the population served. It was stated that the population divide was in fact Sharon Ave. and if #2 wanted to come that far there would be no objection. The new boundary was set at Sharon Ave.
A motion was approved to discontinue publication of the “Bulletin” which had been used for many years to keep residents of Collingdale and Aldan aware of the activities of the Fire Company and the surrounding communities.
A letter was received from the Borough Council in 1937 informing the Company that the jail which had been located at the rear of the firehouse was now vacant. The jail room was converted into a canteen for the members as part of the game room.
A request was received from Broomall Fire Co. asking that we give them our old ambulance if we were to get a new one. The request was placed on file.
The By-Laws were amended to permit intoxicating liquors in the firehouse and playing cards on Sunday. The vote was 30 Aye and & 7 Nay.
The minutes indicate that the Churches across the street reportedly petitioned the State and Federal Government to prevent issuance of a license to permit liquor in the firehouse.
On January 3, 1938 a new Pontiac Ambulance was received. Purchase price was $2, 505.00.
Boxing matches were included as part of the annual carnival activities.
A request was received from the borough for some old hose to be used to wet down the trash dump on ash days. The dump was located at the end of Jackson Ave. at the present site of Collingdale Park.
As part of the fund raising schemes of the fire company, magazine subscriptions were sold. The Company received funds for each subscription sold by the Company members. The subscriptions were sold by the Crowell Publishing Co.
The Chester Times Newspaper reported that Collingdale Fire Co. No.2 was considering becoming a Borough owned Fire Company. A resolution was drafted stating No. 1’s displeasure with this idea and also the idea of a fire tax being placed on the citizens of the Borough.
The Ladies Auxiliary began paying the coal bills for the Fire Company in 1939.
The Delaware County Fireman’s Assoc. started the fire school to train firemen.
Flowers were sent to Mrs. Rachel Gorgas who was very ill. Mr. Gorgas was killed in 1921 in the service of the Company.
A review of the ambulance donations from communities other than Collingdale indicated that it was becoming fiscally impossible to continue the ambulance to the surrounding communities. Sharon Hill, Folcroft, and Glenolden were notified that we would no longer provide ambulance service outside of the Collingdale & Aldan Boroughs due to a lack of financial support from these communities. Aldan Borough was notified that both fire and ambulance coverage would be withdrawn unless the financial situation improved.
In response to the withdrawal of ambulance service Sharon Hill Fire Co. donated $25.00 so their members would have coverage of the Ambulance. A three month trial period was arranged for. Aldan Borough sent a donation of $200.00 which was rejected. Service for fires was to be denied unless the appropriation was increased. Aldan refused to increase the appropriation. A letter
was sent to Aldan stating that fire and ambulance service would be discontinued on April 3, 1940 and a letter so stating would be sent to the Suburban Underwriters Assoc.
In June a committee of Messrs. McNeile, Jackson, Johnson, Strouse, Quirk, Ritchie and Timlin was appointed to purchase a new chassis, tank and pump for a booster truck. The chemical tanks from the Brockway truck are to be mounted on the new chassis by our own members. Estimated cost is to be between $1800 and $2000.00. By July the pump and the new chassis were on hand and work was started. The new Booster Truck was housed in November.
A letter of thanks was received from Ridley Park Fire Co. for our assistance at the Ridley Park High School fire.
In July the Trustees were directed to send a letter to the residents of Aldan advising them of the cut in service to their community due to a lack of financial support from the borough. A copy of the letter was to be sent to the Delaware County Firemen’s Assoc.
In September a motion was approved to have the City Service Truck and the pump painted. The members were to sand and varnish the ladders. The Ladies Aux. was requested to purchase a siren for the new “Booster” truck. Mr. Eldridge Stockwell of Stockwell Rubber Co., a resident of Sharon Hill, contributed a new nozzle to the Company.
The Company suffered another financial set-back when it was learned that the operation of the Carnival, one of the Company’s major fund raising activities, was determined to be against the law. Letters were sent to the residents of Collingdale explaining the loss of revenue and its impact on the Company.
A Bill was presented in Harrisburg in 1941 to make Bingo and carnivals legal for fire companies.
Chas. Lafferty, Bert Russell, Elmer Ritchie, Bob Marsh, and M. J. Hanly assisted in activities for the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Borough which included a Drum and Bugle Corp. competition, a pageant and a parade.
In May the Company received a letter from the President of the United States thanking members for their cooperation in the Selective Services Registration.
A motion was approved to rescind the earlier motion to limit ambulance service to calls in Collingdale only. Motion was to resume coverage to surrounding Boroughs with a minimum donation of $5.00.
At the June meeting the Auxiliary gave a donation of $200.00 to be used for the reduction of the mortgage.
The fire Company voted to resume coverage in Aldan. All of the Companies in the 5th District sent letters to Darby Township requesting that Darby Township provide an appropriation to at least one Company in the district in order to continue fire service coverage.
A plan was developed between #1 and #2 for daytime fire coverage including the operation of the equipment.
Mr. David Claffey took photographs of the firehouse and apparatus for the 50th Anniversary of the Borough program. There was no charge for the photos.
In October it was necessary to cancel the Bingo Parties due to Infantile Paralysis quarantine.
A $10.00 donation was received from the School Board for extinguishing the bon fire on the school field. The bon fire was an annual event to mark the Thanksgiving Day football Game between Collingdale and Darby High Schools.
December 7th the Second World War began with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor.
In January 1942, one month after the start of WWII thirty two new members were accepted into the Company. In February, ID’s for black-outs and air raid drills were distributed to members. The Company members were active in the local Civil Defense Group nicknamed the “Bomb Dodgers’ which was responsible for the conduct of the Air Raid Drills and other activities related to
the security of the citizens during the war years. As part of the air raid preparedness plan the ambulance was required to relocate to Collingdale Fire Co. No. 2 firehouse during air raid drills. Efforts were made to have this requirement cancelled.
The war became the major concern for all of the citizens of the country. Sun Shipbuilding, Ford Motor Co. and Willys Overland Co. in Chester along with Westinghouse in Lester were major employers involved in manufacturing military equipment during the war. In Collingdale, the Shallcross Manufacturing Co. manufactured precision resistors and other electrical items which were used in the manufacture of military electronics items.
The DCFA discussed the possibility of sabotage becoming a problem in the Chester Pike area. This concern was probably based on the presence of the B&O RR which was a major transportation link for many military vehicles and other equipment items built at the Ford and Willy’s plants in Chester. In fact, a train wreck did occur on the RR in the area of Hansen Terrace.
Two requests were received for donations for the British Fire Fighters Relief Fund.
A motion was accepted to carry all members in the armed forces as paid-up active members. In August, money from the Fire School graduation ceremony was used to purchase cigarettes which were distributed to servicemen. At Christmas time cartons of cigarettes were also sent to all members in the Armed Services.
The Grace Reformed Episcopal Church donated a shuffleboard table to the Company.
A spirit of cooperation existed between the Ambulance Corps in the area. Letters were received from Darby No.1 thanking our Company for responding to calls in Darby when they were unable to respond; likewise we sent a letter of thanks to Yeadon Fire Co. for covering for our ambulance when it was unable to respond to a call.
An Honor Roll of those citizens of the Borough serving in the Armed Forces was dedicated on November 7th 1943. The Honor Roll was placed in front of the High School at the same location as the WWI Memorial. This is also the site of the present “All Wars Memorial”. The list of Collingdale men in the military was quite extensive. It was rumored that some of the men graduated from high school in the evening and by morning they were on their way to the military camp.
Rationing of critical items that were required for the war effort was started. Gasoline became less available and this created concern for emergency vehicles. A letter was written to the DCFA requesting assistance in obtaining gasoline for the equipment. The Ration Board arranged for additional gasoline for the apparatus.
The Booster Truck was modified in 1944 to incorporate a windshield and a spotlight. In addition the chemical tanks were removed and the pump was changed from a positive displacement type pump to a centrifugal pump. The work was all done by the members.
It was decided to place a Gold Star on the Company “Honor Roll” in place of the black drape when a member in the service was killed.
In May of 1944 the mortgage was paid off.
June 6, 1944 was D-Day marking the allied invasion of the beaches at Normandy, France. James Borderieux was killed in December while serving in the armed forces. It was in December 1944 that the “Battle of the Bulge” occurred. The 32nd service star was added to the Company “Honor Roll”. There were 30 Blue Stars and 2 Gold Stars. Frank Crummer was also killed in action.
A committee was formed to begin a drive for funds to be used for the purchase of a new pumper. The Apparatus Fund amounted to $2208.18 by January 1945. In November, bids were sought for a new fire truck.
In March the Collingdale Borough Council considered stopping the appropriations to the fire companies unless the companies could prove financial hardship. Both fire companies appealed this idea as being not at all appropriate. August was marked by the end of the war and in October a “Welcome Home” banner was purchased and hung Clifton Ave. in front of the firehouse.